Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Get A More Youthful Looking Tummy
There are many factors that contribute to the appearance of the abdomen. Excessive fat can result in unattractive bulges, while loose skin and stretch marks can result from childbirth or weight loss. Many patients in the Milwaukee area are seeking Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Surgery, to improve the contour of their abdomen. Dr. Bosbous uses the Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck procedure to remove excess abdominal skin and fat while tightening and shaping the underlying abdominal muscle framework. Also skilled in the area of mini-abdominoplasty, you may want to ask Dr. Bosbous about this procedure for those who have excess fat or skin located primarily in the lower part of the abdomen, well below the umbilicus.
Dr. Bosbous has an uncompromising attention to detail, and a strong passion for working with patients in the Milwaukee area. Building trusting relationships before surgery is just one of the ways he makes your cosmetic enhancement process less stressful and more exciting. With his personal touches and individualized approach you know you are in good hands, and pleasing results from your abdominoplasty procedure are right around the corner.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck in Milwaukee?
The abdomen can lose shape and definition due to excess abdominal fat or the presence of loose skin due to pregnancy or weight loss. Often times patients who have had children have stretched their abdominal wall, creating a permanent gap between the rectus abdominus (“six pack”) muscles. A tummy tuck may provide the following benefits to these patients:
- A “flattening” effect can be achieved through tightening and re-contouring of the underlying muscular framework of the abdomen
- Removal of excess fat
- Removal of excess skin (and the stretch marks associated with excess skin)
- Reshaping and recontouring of the abdomen
- To assure optimal results, patients can help Dr. Bosbous by achieving as close to an ideal body weight as possible prior to surgery.
In cases where patients desire a significant amount of fat removal to take place, Dr. Bosbous may recommend that a liposuction be performed concurrently to the tummy tuck procedure. This is a common approach to tummy tuck and body contouring procedures, but may not be the best fit for all patients.
If you think you’d be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure, contact our office today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Bosbous. During your consultation, Dr. Bosbous will guide you through the procedure and the likely outcomes. He will also evaluate your overall transformational desires and recommend the best way to proceed to help you achieve your desired final look.
Abdominoplasty incisions are made low on the abdomen in order to help keep them discreet and allow for the scars to be easily concealed. Dr. Bosbous will provide a thorough evaluation and surgical plan, with the goal of minimizing the length of scar required to achieve the desired result. After accessing the abdominal wall, Dr. Bosbous will repair the lax abdominal muscles, tightening them with sutures to provide a “flattening” effect. Next, excess fat may be removed directly or through the use of liposuction, helping to reduce the thickness of the upper abdomen and allowing for your new abdominal framework to be seen after the skin has been advanced and re-draped.
Once the internal work has been completed, the abdomen is tightened as the excess tissue is removed and the skin is pulled downward. Depending on the amount of excess skin present, the umbilicus (belly button) may need to be repositioned. (A tummy tuck that does not require the umbilicus to be repositioned due to a lesser amount of excess tissue typically produces a smaller scar and is often referred to as a mini-abdominoplasty.)
Dr. Bosbous offers Best Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Surgery to patients in the Milwaukee area as an outpatient procedure. However, because the procedure is performed at a fully accredited hospital or surgical center, an overnight stay can be arranged if desired.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
Most patients will experience a tummy tuck recovery timeline that looks like this:
- Day 1: Patients are allowed to return home following surgery (which is usually performed on an outpatient basis). Patients may have drainage tubes left in place and wear a compression garment in order to help control swelling. During the first several days after surgery, it is important that patients refrain from standing up straight or lying flat, so as to prevent strain placed on the incision.
- Day 10 – 14: Usually, at some point between day 10 and 14, the drainage tubes are removed. During this period, most of the initial discomfort has passed. Additionally, many people plan to return to work after the first two weeks after your procedure–although, it must be stressed that this will depend on how your body is healing.
- Day 21: After the first two-to-three weeks of recovery, you should start to feel more like yourself again. However, it’s very important that you refrain from lifting anything heavy (small children or groceries, for example), as this can compromise your recovery.
Most patients are able to return to their full daily lives after roughly six weeks of recovery, depending on the nature of their procedure. In most cases, patients will receive clearance from Dr. Bosbous before they are able to do the following:
- Returning to work
This list is not exhaustive, as there may be other activities that Dr. Bosbous will want to clear you for before you begin. If you have any questions about your recovery, you should contact our office to speak with Dr. Bosbous.
Tummy Tuck Results
Patients can expect a relatively short recovery time of about 10–14 days. Although most people will return to work and light activity within this time frame, exercise and more vigorous activity should typically wait to be resumed 3-4 weeks after surgery and after receiving clearance from Dr. Bosbous. If liposuction is part of your procedure, you may experience swelling and bruising in those areas for several weeks. Moving about will help reduce your complications, and you will be given detailed postoperative instructions after your tummy tuck procedure. Dr. Bosbous takes pride in helping his Milwaukee tummy tuck patients reach their body contouring goals and can help you achieve a slimmer, more shapely abdomen with an abdominoplasty procedure.
Benefits of Tummy Tuck
For patients who want to achieve a significant transformation of the abdomen, tummy tuck is often a successful and beneficial procedure. For those patients, there are tangible benefits to a tummy tuck procedure. Many, but not all, of those benefits are aesthetic in nature. Patients tend to look more slender and fit because there’s less excess skin to get in the way.
Many patients also look significantly more youthful after a tummy tuck procedure. That can be particularly appealing for patients who have excess skin because of pregnancy and who now want to reclaim some of that lost youth.
Additionally, patients who undergo a full tummy tuck may notice an improvement in their abdominal strength–not enough to change the way you lift weights, of course. But some patients may notice improvements to certain kinds of incontinence after their tummy tuck procedure.
Once their recovery is complete, many patients will also comment that Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Surgery vastly improved their confidence and self esteem. If you want to know more about how you might benefit from a tummy tuck procedure, contact Dr. Bosbous’s office in Milwaukee today to schedule a consultation.
Tummy Tuck With Other Procedures
Tummy tuck is commonly performed on its own as a solitary procedure. But it’s also not uncommon for tummy tuck to be performed as part of a set of procedures. In some cases, tummy tuck is performed with a liposuction (some patients may have both excess skin and excess fat; other patients may have excess skin created by the liposuction if not for the tummy tuck).
Additionally, tummy tuck is often performed as part of a comprehensive transformation. For example, it’s not uncommon for a tummy tuck to be performed as part of a mommy makeover, which includes a tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast lift (most commonly). These combined procedures can help patients achieve an entire body transformation and minimize the overall time necessary for recovery in the process.
If you have questions about what procedures you might compliment your tummy tuck, you can discuss all of your options with Dr. Bosbous during your consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Tummy Tuck?
What Are The Types Of Tummy Tucks?
The types of tummy tucks differ based on the amount of extra skin that patients have. A patient getting an Extended Tummy Tuck, for instance, will need a larger incision than a patient getting a Small Tummy Tuck. The surgeon’s choice of the incision site and length will depend on how much extra skin a patient wishes to remove. Different types of tummy tuck procedures are mentioned below:
- Full Tummy Tuck: The Full Tummy Tuck treatment aims to improve both the upper and lower abdomen. If your stomach has extra skin or weak abdominal muscles, you may want to consider a full tummy tuck.
- Mini Tummy Tuck: The Mini Tummy Tuck simply attempts to improve the lower abdominal region below the belly button. If you are unable to lose the extra fat around your lower abdomen even after following the strict diet and exercise regimen, you might consider a Mini Tummy Tuck surgery.
- Extended Tummy Tuck: An Extended Tummy Tuck is a variation of a full tummy tuck that extends beyond the belly to the hips and sides of the lower back. If you want to improve the curves of your body, the extended tummy tuck procedure is appropriate for you.
- Fleur-De-Lis Tummy Tuck: Tummy Fleur-De-Lis Tuck surgery assists in the excision of extra skin from the midline of the abdomen. This operation is frequently performed on individuals who have lost a significant amount of weight and have loose skin. The additional incision is meant to allow the physician to tighten the patient’s skin.
Other Tummy tuck treatments include Drainless Tummy Tuck, Tummy Tuck with Liposuction, and Non-Surgical Tummy Tuck. These procedures differ from person to person depending on the amount of additional fat that has to be eliminated. However, if you are considering any form of a Tummy Tuck, you should conduct a thorough study to fully grasp the benefits and risks of the procedure. If you are seeking a reputable and board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to receive all the information to make a choice about surgery we’d love to hear from you.
How is Tummy Tuck different from Liposuction?
Liposuction, on the other hand, is a cosmetic procedure that removes excess fat from specific areas of the body, including the abdomen, hips, thighs, and arms. Unlike tummy tucks, liposuction does not remove excess skin or tighten the abdominal muscles. Instead, it focuses on reducing the amount of fat in specific areas to create a more toned and sculpted appearance.
If you are still unsure about the surgery you require to remove extra fat from your body, we will recommend you consult with Dr. Bosbous to determine which procedure is best for you, based on your individual needs and goals.
How Much Weight Do I Lose In Abdominoplasty?
The average weight loss after an abdominoplasty procedure is between 2-15 pounds, but this can vary significantly depending on the individual. It’s important to talk to your surgeon about your goals and expectations for the procedure and to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine after the surgery to achieve and maintain optimal results.
What Are The Do's And Don'ts After A Tummy Tuck?
The recovery stage is the significant part of the tummy tuck procedure. You can achieve the desired goal and reduce the risk of complications only when you follow proper precautions as prescribed by your surgeon. After undergoing a tummy tuck, it’s important to follow certain do’s and don’ts to ensure proper healing. Below are some general guidelines:
- Follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions carefully, including any medication schedules and wound care instructions.
- Rest and limit physical activity for at least a few weeks after the surgery to allow your body to heal properly.
- Wear compression garments as they help in reducing swelling and support your abdominal muscles.
- Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy, balanced diet to help your body recover and avoid constipation.
- Do not engage in vigorous activities such as heavy lifting, or exercise until your surgeon approves.
- The use of tobacco and smoking should be avoided since they might hinder the healing process and raise the risk of complications.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least a few weeks after the surgery, as it can interfere with healing and increase the risk of bleeding.
- Do not expose your incisions to direct sunlight, as this can cause scarring and discoloration.
By following these do’s and don’ts after a tummy tuck procedure you can help ensure a smoother recovery and achieve the best possible results from your surgery.
How Long To Rest After A Tummy Tuck?
During the first few days after the surgery, it is common for patients to experience some pain, swelling, and bruising in the abdominal area. To help reduce these symptoms and promote healing, doctors may recommend that patients keep their heads and shoulders elevated, use ice packs on the affected area, and avoid any movements that could strain the abdominal muscles.
The exact duration of bed rest and recovery will depend on the individual’s healing process and the doctor’s recommendations. It is important to follow all post-operative instructions carefully to ensure the best possible outcome.
What Is The Best Food To Eat After A Tummy Tuck?
After surgery, a balanced diet will feed your body and aid in its repair and recuperation. However, some foods, such as alcohol, and soda, should be avoided to promote appropriate recovery. These foods might interfere with medicine and the healing process.
Is It Okay To Have Tummy Tuck Surgery Before Having Kids?
However, in case you become pregnant after having tummy tuck surgery, there is no need to be concerned. There is also no medical risk if you become pregnant after having a belly tuck.
Each person’s circumstances are unique, so consulting with a plastic surgeon to identify the best course of action for your specific scenario is crucial. In this case, it is always advisable to seek the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon (like us!).
What Things I Should Do Before Tummy Tuck Surgery?
The following are the things you should do before tummy tuck surgery to achieve a successful outcome.
- Consultation With A Plastic Surgeon: The first step is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations for the surgery, as well as any potential risks or complications. Your surgeon will evaluate your health history and current health status to determine if you are a suitable candidate for the procedure.
- Medical Clearance: Depending on your medical history, your surgeon may require you to obtain medical clearance from your primary physician or other specialists before undergoing surgery.
- Stop Smoking: Smoking can increase the risk of complications during and after surgery, so it is important to stop smoking at least four weeks before the surgery.
- Adjust Medications and Supplements: Your surgeon may advise you to adjust or stop taking certain medications or supplements such as aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, etc. as they can increase the risk of bleeding or other complications during surgery.
- Maintain A Healthy Diet And Exercise Routine: Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine can help improve your overall health and reduce the risk of complications during and after surgery.
Additionally, follow pre-operative instructions that your surgeon provides you with to follow before the surgery, such as fasting the night before and avoiding certain foods and drinks.
What Qualifies You For A Tummy Tuck?
But, you should be aware that tummy tuck enhances the look of the belly, but it is not a cure. Patients should set reasonable goals and understand that the results may not be perfect. You should discuss your suitability for a tummy tuck with a trained and experienced plastic surgeon who can examine your particular requirements and objectives and determine whether the treatment is ideal for you.
Consult A Doctor Online Now!
- Testimonials -
What People Say
"Dr. Bosbous and his team exceeded all my expectations. I am a year post-op, and I am delighted with my results. What you can expect: thorough, thoughtful explanation of the process; compassion and respect; professionalism and yet approachable, friendly demeanor."
- Kara N.
"Everything about my procedure was wonderful. I could not be happier."
- Amy K.
"The absolute best experience ever! So friendly, professional and knowledgeable. My results are excellent! The whole process went smoothly without complications. I see the results that I went in for."
- Kim N.
"Absolutely loving my post op results! Dr. Bosbous and his entire staff made me feel very comfortable and validated my concerns from the get go. I'm very happy with my decision to have surgery AND to have Dr. Bosbous perform it. Thank you!!!"
- Shellie S.
"The whole experience was wonderful. The medical staff is so caring and Dr. Bosbous is extremely skilled. I love my results."
- Amy L.