Offering Liposuction in Milwaukee
Eliminate Fat for a Slimmer Look
Despite diet and exercise, oftentimes people have residual areas of fat on their body that cannot be lost through traditional methods. Fat deposits can cause unsightly bulges and contour deformities in a number of areas such as the upper and lower abdomen, neck, arms, flanks (love handles), inner and outer thighs, calves, and knees. In cases where your efforts haven’t given you the results you desire, liposuction may be an option to help you achieve your goals. Dr. Bosbous uses liposuction to permanently remove excess fat and change the contour of your areas of concern. Your results will depend on several factors, such as your age, sex, skin quality, and area the excess fat is located. At your consultation, Dr. Bosbous will take the time to answer your questions, evaluate your areas of concern and determine if liposuction is the appropriate procedure for you.
Dr. Bosbous brings professionalism and detail to every procedure he performs to help his patients achieve the results they desire. By building trusting relationships and giving individualized care to his liposuction patients in the Milwaukee area, Dr. Bosbous strives to make your plastic surgery experience comfortable and enjoyable.
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction in Milwaukee?
Liposuction is a procedure designed to eliminate unwanted areas of fat, so the best liposuction candidates are typically seeking to reduce stubborn fat found in specific areas of their bodies. In general, good candidates for liposuction will:
- Wish to eliminate fat from a specific area of the body (the abdomen or lower back, for example).
- Be a relatively stable weight at the time of their procedure.
- Be generally healthy enough for surgery.
- In general, be a non-smoker.
- Present good skin elasticity (in some cases, a tummy tuck may be performed concurrently with liposuction when skin elasticity is on the lower end).
- Have realistic expectations about what liposuction can achieve.
Most patients who wish to undergo a liposuction procedure have tried other weight loss methods, such as diet and exercise. Liposuction is most often used when these other methods have proven ineffective. In many cases, the human body will keep fat collected in specific areas–and those specific areas of fat can be immune to diet and exercise, even as you shed pounds overall.
That’s why many candidates who wish to undergo liposuction do so as a means to complete a weight loss journey. Liposuction may sometimes be combined with other body contouring procedures for maximum effect.
If you feel that you’d be a good candidate for liposuction, contact Dr. Bosbous today to schedule a consultation.
The Liposuction Procedure
At the beginning of the procedure a special dilute fluid that contains local anesthetic and epinephrine (a drug used to constrict small blood vessels) is injected through small incisions into the area to be treated. A small tube, known as a cannula, is then connected to suction and passed back and forth within the fat tissue removing the excess. The treated area will be constantly monitored to make sure an appropriate amount is removed. Any incisions required for the liposuction procedure will be closed at the end, and a special compression garment will be put in place to help with swelling and support.
One of the most common procedures in the Milwaukee area, liposuction can be performed on a number of different areas in both men and women. Liposuction is also often combined with other procedures such as tummy tuck, neck lift, body lift, and breast reduction. The procedure requires only tiny incisions that Dr. Bosbous will attempt to place in well-concealed areas.
To view before and after photos of actual liposuction patients click here.
Where Can Liposuction Be Performed?
Stubborn areas of fat can develop just about anywhere on the body. Fat could accumulate around the legs or the abdomen, even around the jawline. These stubborn areas of fat will vary from individual to individual, so the demands of every liposuction patient are likely to be somewhat unique to that patient.
Liposuction can be used to target a wide variety of areas of the body, including:
- Abdomen: Perhaps the most common target for liposuction procedures, the belly area often accumulates these stubborn areas of fat.
- Arms: For some patients, arm fat can undermine the way they feel about their body overall. Fat that accumulates around the arms can be challenging to eliminate via diet or exercise.
- Legs: Exercise of the legs can certainly increase muscle mass, but it won’t necessarily target specific fat cells. For patients who want slimmer legs, liposuction is an effective solution.
- Back: Many patients seek out liposuction because it can effectively eliminate stubborn back fat. This is an increasingly common use for liposuction.
- Gynecomastia: In some cases, liposuction may be used to treat male breast tissue, as part of a gynecomastia treatment.
- Face and neck: Liposuction of the face and neck is less commonly requested, but this area can be successfully targeted by liposuction procedures to eliminate unwanted fat.
Many patients come into our office under the impression that liposuction is a procedure only for the abdomen. But there is no single “best place” to undergo a liposuction procedure. The prime target will depend most significantly on your physiology and your desired final results.
Your Liposuction Recovery
The duration of your liposuction recovery will vary depending on the extent of body contouring work performed. The larger the area affected, the longer you can expect your recovery to require. In most cases, your liposuction recovery can be completed in roughly 2-4 weeks. However, that will vary depending on your case.
- Week 1: Your mobility may be somewhat limited during the first week. Dr. Bosbous may require that you wear a compression bandage during this time. Swelling and bruising are common. Additionally, you may be prescribed medication to help manage pain and discomfort.
- Week 2: During the second week of recovery, pain and bruising should abate somewhat. Swelling may start to go down as well, meaning you’ll be able to start seeing and appreciating your liposuction results. During the first two weeks, your incisions will also be closely monitored for any signs of possible infections. After you hit the two week mark, you should be able to return to many activities, such as driving; exercise will still be prohibited (as always, Dr. Bosbous will provide you with individualized recovery instructions so you know precisely which activities to avoid).
- Week 3: After the third week, swelling should be almost entirely subsided, but low level swelling may persist for some time. You should also be able to return to moderate exercise (if you have been cleared by Dr. Bosbous). Patients after the third week should be able to resume almost all normal activities.
- Week 4: Depending on your swelling, patients may be able to stop wearing compression bandages after the fourth week. In other cases, especially when significant liposuction has been performed, compression bandages will need to remain on for a further four weeks.
After the four week mark, most patients are able to resume all normal activities. Bruising and other discoloration should be completely gone by this point as well. Low level swelling may persist for something like three months, depending on your situation. Every day that passes, however, will make your results more apparent.
Questions to Ask About Your Liposuction Recovery
The more you know about your liposuction recovery ahead of time, the better prepared you can be to deal with any challenges that may arise. During your consultation with Dr. Bosbous, it will be important to discuss your recovery process. Many patients aren’t sure what questions to ask, however. Some good questions to ask about your recovery might include:
- How long should you expect to take off of work?
- When can you start driving again?
- Will sutures or stitches be necessary? And, if they are, when will those stitches (or sutures) be removed?
- How often will I need to schedule follow up visits?
- What can I do to help maintain my weight after liposuction surgery?
- How soon can I start exercising again? And how hard vigorously should I exercise?
- Will I have any dietary restrictions during my liposuction recovery?
It’s sometimes helpful for patients to bring a list of pre-written questions with them to their consultation. That way, they don’t forget to ask something that may be important. You should always be open and honest with Dr. Bosbous about your desired results and your comfort level throughout the consultation process.
Once recovery is complete, you’ll be able to fully enjoy the contoured, sculpted look of your liposuction results. To get started on your liposuction procedure today, contact our office to schedule a consultation.
What Will My Results Look Like?
Once your recovery is complete and the swelling recedes, you will begin to notice your liposuction results. Dr. Bosbous works with all of his patients to ensure that they understand the nature of their liposuction transformation and have a clear idea of what to expect.
In most cases, patients can look forward to appearing more slender in a way that looks very natural. Modern liposuction techniques are able to contour the body so that your results blend seamlessly with your natural shapes.
If you received liposuction of the abdomen, for example, you will look to the outside as though you’ve simply lost weight and achieved the overall shape you wanted to achieve. (Many patients will receive comments to this effect once their liposuction is complete.) Dr. Bosbous will ensure your results are formed to your body’s contours, meaning your liposuction results will look natural and proportional.
If you have questions about what your liposuction results might look like, contact the offices of Dr. Bosbous to schedule a consultation. Dr. Bosbous believes in patient education and will take the time to ensure you understand all aspects of your liposuction procedure. During your liposuction consultation, you’ll get an idea of how this procedure can contour your body and help you achieve your personal ideal shape.
Liposuction Final Results
Bruising and swelling may occur, but should gradually improve over 4-5 weeks. Most patients return to work and light activity within a week of their procedure. Vigorous exercise and activity should be put off for 3-4 weeks following surgery. Dr. Bosbous will work with you to determine your individual care and recovery needs.
If you feel that liposuction may be of benefit to you, set up an appointment to discuss your treatment options with Dr. Bosbous. Contact us today to get started with a complimentary consultation!
Consult A Doctor Online Now!
- Testimonials -
What People Say
"Dr. Bosbous and his team exceeded all my expectations. I am a year post-op, and I am delighted with my results. What you can expect: thorough, thoughtful explanation of the process; compassion and respect; professionalism and yet approachable, friendly demeanor."
- Kara N.
"Everything about my procedure was wonderful. I could not be happier."
- Amy K.
"The absolute best experience ever! So friendly, professional and knowledgeable. My results are excellent! The whole process went smoothly without complications. I see the results that I went in for."
- Kim N.
"Absolutely loving my post op results! Dr. Bosbous and his entire staff made me feel very comfortable and validated my concerns from the get go. I'm very happy with my decision to have surgery AND to have Dr. Bosbous perform it. Thank you!!!"
- Shellie S.
"The whole experience was wonderful. The medical staff is so caring and Dr. Bosbous is extremely skilled. I love my results."
- Amy L.