For a More Youthful Appearance
Throughout the natural aging process, our skin loses its elasticity, and underlying tissues also tend to lose volume. This can cause deep lines, sagging and wrinkles on the face and neck. Facelift procedures are known for reversing these signs of aging by restoring the facial tissues to a more youthful position. While you may elect to have a facelift by itself, many patients in the Milwaukee area choose to have Dr. Bosbous perform a combination of different facial rejuvenation procedures at once, since the neck, the face, and the eyelids tend to age in concert with one another. Dr. Bosbous offers a variety of techniques that can address your facial aging concerns and help you achieve a more youthful, refreshed appearance.
Dr. Bosbous has a passion for delivering natural looking results for his patients in the Milwaukee area, and he takes pride in building trusting relationships while helping his patients achieve their cosmetic surgery goals. Dr. Bosbous brings a professional hand and a personal touch to every procedure he performs. With the help of a facelift, your outer appearance is sure to begin to reflect the way you feel on the inside.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Facelift in Milwaukee?
A facelift procedure is often sought out by those wishing to reverse the signs of facial aging. A variety of procedures can be used to give patients a more lifted, youthful appearance. Dr. Bosbous is able to address many common concerns you may have with your face and neck, including:
- Deep creases along the nose and around the corners of the mouth
- Sagging deflated appearance of the cheeks and mid-face
- Loss of defined jaw line, presence of jowls
- Loose skin or excess fat deposits that cause a “double chin”
- Crow’s feet and other lines and wrinkles
- Appearance of muscle “bands” in the neck
- Other individual concerns
Because every case is different, Dr. Bosbous will work with you to create your individualized surgical plan. Your personal expectations are always taken into account, and every facelift performed is personally designed with the patient’s needs in mind. The signs of aging affect us all, and Dr. Bosbous is skilled at working with both men and women who wish to look younger and more vibrant.
Your Face and Neck Lift Procedure
Most face and neck lifts take 3-5 hours depending on the combination of procedures being performed. Incisions are often made within the hairlines or along the natural creases of your face to aid in concealing any postoperative scars you may have. Once these discreet incisions are made, the face and/or neck skin is lifted and the underlying tissue is modified to restore the area to a more youthful position and volume.
A mini facelift is an option in less extreme cases and requires fewer incisions. Dr. Bosbous will guide you in deciding which procedure(s) will best give you the final results you desire. Although the majority of facial rejuvenation surgeries are performed as outpatient procedures, overnight stays can be arranged depending on your individual needs.
To view before and after photos of actual facelift patients click here.
What Happens During a Facelift Procedure?
Not all patients will have the same degree of wrinkles, lines, and skin relaxation. Some patients, for example, may wish to address widespread wrinkles. Other patients may wish only to address skin relaxation in a localized area. Patients will typically have two incision options for their facelift procedure:
- Traditional Facelift: A traditional facelift incision is made along the hairline near the temple, and the down around the ear. A traditional facelift will usually provide the most flexibility in terms of treatment, allowing Dr. Bosbous to address a wide range of possible complaints. Essentially a traditional facelift can give patients natural looking results across their entire face.
- “Mini-Facelift:” The other option is a procedure known colloquially as a “mini” facelift. During this procedure, Dr. Bosbous will make a small incision around the ear. This approach allows for a modest correction of lines and wrinkles in localized areas of the face. A mini-facelift may not be able to make changes as substantial as those accomplished by a traditional facelift, but recovery is generally somewhat faster. For patients that do not have a wide degree of wrinkle coverage or relaxed skin, a mini-facelift can provide an effective option.
Selecting which approach is best for you will depend most significantly on your desired final results. During your consultation with Dr. Bosbous, you’ll discuss what those results are and your best possible route for achieving them.
Your Facelift Surgery
Whatever approach you decide to take, the basic steps of the procedure are somewhat similar. A facelift can be performed under general or local anesthesia, depending on the nature of the procedure and your preference as the patient. In most cases, facelift is performed on an outpatient basis, meaning you are allowed to return home for your recovery once the initial effects of the anesthesia have worn off.
Once the initial incisions have been made, Dr. Bosbous will then work towards removing unwanted excess tissue. A facelift procedure may also sometimes reposition areas of fat beneath the skin for best effect.
After excess tissue has been removed, the skin will be pulled taut in order to make the face appear naturally more youthful. Sutures are then put into place to close the incisions. Patients are given detailed and personalized recovery instructions to ensure that they are as comfortable as possible throughout the process as well as to protect the overall results of the surgery.
Facelift Recovery and Results
Dr. Bosbous places an emphasis on creating natural looking results for his patients. This means that nearly every decision made is done through this prism. Patients want to look naturally younger–and they want all of their friends and family to wonder how they did it.
The duration of your facelift recovery will depend most significantly on the extent of your facelift surgery. More extensive incisions will usually lead to a bolder transformation and a longer recovery period. Most traditional facelift patients can expect a recovery timeline that looks something like this:
- Week 1: You will need to ensure that you do not have work or social commitments during the first week of recovery, and that you have ample time to rest and recover. Having friends or family over to help, especially during the first few days, will be essential. Patients typically experience swelling and bruising. In general, a follow up appointment is scheduled with your surgeon sometime during the first couple of days.
- Week 2: You’ll still have some swelling and bruising around the incision site. You may also experience some light tingling and tightness, but that tends to be normal. At the end of the second week, most patients feel ready to return to work and many of their normal activities. It’s important to discuss this with your surgeon.
- Week 3: During the third week, you’ll typically feel much more like yourself, returning to almost all of your normal activities. You may still experience some slight bruising and swelling, but both of those should continue receding.
You should always check in with Dr. Bosbous regarding your recovery process to ensure that you’re healing properly and that your results are progressing as they should. Once recovery is complete, you’ll be able to fully enjoy your facelift results.
Most patients who undergo a facelift procedure will look significantly more youthful and energetic. That’s because facelift can eliminate lines, wrinkles, and excess tissue–meaning the relaxed tissue that hangs off your jawline can be safely eliminated. For patients, facelift surgery can manifest some of the following benefits:
- A more trim, slender-looking jawline.
- A more emotive face; patients may find it easier to express a range of emotions.
- A more energetic visage.
- Increased confidence and self esteem.
- Many patients report that they feel younger when they look in the mirror and see fewer signs of aging.
Dr. Bosbous will make every effort to minimize the risk of possible complications associated with your surgery. Swelling and bruising are common side effects but tend to subside quickly. The initial recovery time for facelift surgery is typically 10-14 days. After about two weeks you will be ready to resume social and light physical activity and you may return to normal activity and exercise at around 4 weeks.
For patients who may not be ready to proceed with facial rejuvenation surgery, Dr. Bosbous also offers those in the Milwaukee area a number of less invasive options such as Botox® and facial fillers.
If you want to know more about how a facelift procedure might help you look naturally more youthful, contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Bosbous and get started right away!