Dermal Fillers at a Glance
- There are several different forms of dermal fillers, including Radiesse and Juvederm
- Results can be seen virtually instantly
- There is no recovery associated with dermal filler injections—you can resume normal activities immediately
The Skin and Volume
As you age, two things happen to your skin that contribute to the development of lines and wrinkles. First, your skin loses elasticity—the ability to bounce back. When you were younger, you could pull on your skin and it would snap back into place quite easily. As you age, you might notice that your skin begins to lose this ability, that when you pull on your skin, it simply stays mostly in place. This isn’t something to be alarmed about, necessarily, as it’s just a natural artifact of the aging process. The second thing that contributes to the development of lines and wrinkles is a loss of volume.
As your skin loses elasticity, it succumbs to gravity, meaning that you slowly start to develop an excess amount of tissue. The skin to volume ratio increases, meaning that, effectively, you lose volume in your face. It’s akin to a balloon leaking air—as the balloon deflates, it loses the smooth surface it had when there was ample air inside. This is one of the most common ways that wrinkles and lines form as we get older. Luckily, if you’re bothered by these wrinkles and lines—and if you feel younger than how you look—there is an easy way to get you looking more youthful again.
The solution to wrinkles and lines caused by loss of volume in the skin is a type of injectable called a dermal filler. These injectables work, essentially, by filling the lost volume in the face. How, precisely, they do this varies on the injectable you’ve chosen. However, dermal fillers can be characterized generally as a temporary solution to volume loss. Additionally, most dermal filler procedures can be completed in a matter of minutes. There is no recovery time associated with dermal filler injections, and you should be able to resume normal activity immediately. That said, you should avoid strenuous exercise for at least a couple of days.
Milwaukee Plastic Surgery offers a variety of dermal filler options and during your initial consultation with Dr. Bosbous, you’ll discuss which options make the most sense for your desired results. Among the options available at Milwaukee Plastic Surgery, we offer the following:
- Juvederm: This is a gel renowned for its smooth consistency. The Juvederm family of fillers is composed primarily of hyaluronic acid, a substance already found in your body and one that helps keep your skin moisturized and looking more youthful. The Juvederm injection fills volume quickly, producing an immediate effect, diminishing lines, folds, and wrinkles. Juvederm is specially formulated wrinkles and folds, including so-called “smile lines” and the lines directly around the nose. Milwaukee Juvederm patients can expect results from this product to last anywhere form 6-9 months. If you like your results, you can schedule regular maintenance appointments to maintain those results.
- Radiesse: This is a dermal filler that promotes the creation of collagen while it simultaneously fills the volume beneath your tissue. The collagen not only helps rejuvenate your skin, but it also forms a kind of lattice that can help restore some form and shape to your skin. Radiesse is also among the longest lasting hyaluronic-based fillers, and you can enjoy your results for up to a year. Like Juvederm, Radiesse is specially formulated to help treat smile lines and deep facial wrinkles caused by loss of volume. If you like the results, you may want to schedule regular maintenance appointments to ensure your results last for as long as you want them to.
Am I a Good Candidate for Dermal Fillers in Milwaukee?
Dermal fillers are a very low risk procedure, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re a perfect fit for everybody. Generally, you can tell if dermal fillers will be a good fit for you if you exhibit some of the following criteria:
- You have mild to deep wrinkles caused by loss of skin volume
- You are uncomfortable with the idea of plastic surgery or you are simply not a good candidate for facial plastic surgery procedures such as a facelift
- Your lines and wrinkles are not caused by muscle contraction (see the Botox section in that case)
- You are not pregnant or nursing
- You wish to see immediate results
Your Dermal Filler Procedure
In terms of cosmetic procedures, dermal filler injections are remarkably simple. In most cases, you can be in and out in less than thirty minutes, including your consultation. After discussing with Dr. Bosbous what your desired results will be, he will select the appropriate targets for injections. Most patients report very little discomfort—perhaps a pinching sensation. Ice may be used to help numb the surface area and to help prevent bruising. Once the injections are complete and Dr. Bosbous is satisfied with the ensuing look, your appointment will be over and you can resume your daily activities.
Results and Recovery
You should see immediate results from your dermal filler injections. Those results will last for a number of months, depending upon the filler you and Dr. Bosbous have selected. You should be able to return to your daily activities after your injections, but you will want to avoid strenuous exercise for a couple of days. There may also be some bruising afterwards, but that bruising should not last more than a few days and may be treated with ice or covered with makeup in order to alleviate symptoms.
Most of our Milwaukee dermal filler patients notice an immediate diminishing of wrinkles, folds, and lines. These patients are exceptionally happy with their results, noticing the youthful, radiant new look to their faces. Dermal fillers can’t turn back the clock, and they aren’t a fountain of youth, but they will help eliminate wrinkles and give you that youthful, rejuvenated look you’re after. It’s a subtle transformation that will leave your friends and family wondering if you’re getting more sleep or exercising more often—not whether you’ve had plastic surgery.
So if you’re ready to get started on your transformation and get a little youthfulness back into your facial skin, contact Milwaukee Plastic Surgery today to get started right away.